The importance of exercise of the nervous and respiratory systems in yoga is many times more important than of physical exercise. Because breathing is the basis of our life. The best practice of breathing technique is Nadi shodhana pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breathing). Which we know as Anulom Vilom Pranayam.
First of all we understand the meaning and importance of Nadi Shodhana Pranayama which is composed of three Sanskrit words.
Nadi = micro energy channel;
Shodhana = cleaning, purification;
Pranayama = breathing technique.
Nadia are subtle energy channels in the human body. That carry energy through various parts of the respiratory system in the form of breathing and blood throughout the body’s organs. But due to today’s erratic eating, irregular routines and air pollution, the problem of blocking of these channels has arisen.
Anulom Vilom Pranyam is an order of improvement in breathing techniques that helps to clear these blocked energy channels (nadis). Due to which physical, mental and spiritual peace is attained.
So friends, to understand all aspects of Nadi Shodhana Pranayama (Anulom Vilom Pranyam) closely, read the entire article carefully and with interest till the end.
Table content :-
- Benefits of anulom vilom
- Do pranayama before Anulom vilom
- How to do Anulom vilom
- Do pranayama after Anulom vilom
- Anulom vilom precautions & mistakes
- General queries of Anulom vilom
1. Benefits of anulom vilom :-
- Works clinically for circulatory and respiratory problems such as asthma, sugar, arthritis, and allergies.
- Effectively relieves stress accumulated in the mind and body and helps in relieving headaches and migraine problems.
- Benefits of Nadi Shodhana Pranayama is removes colostrolic inhibition from the nerves of the body. Which is very helpful for heart health.
- There is a tendency in our mind to repent or glorify the past and be worried about the future. Pulse purification pranayama converts negative thoughts into positive thoughts.
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama is very effective in reducing body weight.
- Keeps the body cool and calm.
- Anulom vilom pranayma increase concentration, which increases the efficiency of human beings.
- Anulom vilom benefits is Constipation problem overcome.
- Treats snoring and controls obesity.
- Regulates blood pressure by managing blood circulation.
- Improves the muscular system.
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama provides pure oxygen supply throughout the body.
Also know :- benefits of kapalbhati pranayam.
2. Do pranayama before Anulom vilom :-
Anulom Vilom Pranayama keeps the body cool and calm. If before that, the following two pranayam must be done to heat the body, so that the balance of the body’s moon and the sun nadi makes a balance.
- Bhastrika Pranayama
3. How to do Anulom vilom :-
- First steps of Anulom vilom is, sit in a relaxed Sukhasana or Padmasana posture while relaxing your spine and shoulders. And keep a little smile on your face.
- Place your left hand on your left knee, and keep the palms towards the sky at meditation position.
- apply the index finger of the right hand and the thumb with the vayu mudra, and close the right nostril with the right thumb.
- And now we will take a long, deep and calm breath from the left nostril. And keeping the body stable, it will expand the lungs and chest.
- Now the middle finger will touch the tip between the eyebrows. And close the left nostril with the ring finger and the little finger.
- With the thumb of the right hand, open the right nostril and slowly exhale through the right nostril. After exhaling, take a long deep breath in again.
- Close the right nostril, again with the right thumb. And will slowly release long deep breaths from the left nostril. After exhaling, again take deep deep breaths again.
- In this way one cycle of anulom-vilom is completed. Complete 5 to 10 cycles by breathing alternately through both the nostrils. After each breath, remember to breathe through the same nostril from which you exhaled. Keep your eyes closed and take long, deep breaths and exhale without any force or effort.
4. Do pranayama after Anulom vilom :-
Anulom Vilom Pranayama activates the lunar pulse (Chandr nadi) of the body, which calms the mind and relaxes the body. Now after this, if we do the following meditation pranayama, then our body fully charged and energized.
- Bhramari pranayma
- Om chanting
- Yog nidra
5. Anulom vilom precautions & mistakes :-
- Tighten the breath, causing a small amount of oxygen to come with the breath and does not expand the lungs.
- Moving the neck and shoulders backwards while breathing.
- Making breath sounds while inhaling and exhaling.
- Keeping the time period of exhalation shorter than inhaling.
- Forcibly stopping the breath for too long is harmful for people with asthma and heart disease.
- Forget to keep the waist and spine upright and keep the right hand bent downwards.
- Practicing Anulom vilom Pranayam during cold and cough can cause swelling in the respiratory tracts.
- Apply more pressure to the nose with the thumb.
- Do not keep right hand posture.
- Not keeping the mind calm and not focusing on the breath.
Friends, try to avoid these Mistakes whenever you practice Anulom vilom Pranayam. And get the best benefits of Nadi Shodhana Pranayma (Anulom Vilom Pranayama) by doing it correct way.
6. General queries of Anulom vilom :-
A lot of curiosity and questions arise in the minds of new yoga practitioners before doing Anulom Vilom, which we will discuss in detail.
- What is the difference between Anulom Vilom Pranayam and Nadi shodhana pranayama ?
Anulom Vilom Pranayam and Nadi shodhana pranayama both are same, only the difference is in the name. The name Anulom Vilom is because both of them inhale once through the nostrils and exhale again. The name Nadi Shodhan Pranayama is because of this pranayama, the three nadis of our body, Ida, Pingala and Sushumna work in exactly the right way. And gets relief from Vata, Pitta and Kapha diseases.
- How long should I do Anulom Vilom Pranayam Practice?
Anulom Vilom Pranayama provides coolness to the body. New yoga practitioners should do 6 to 9 times. And up to 25 times during summer time.
- Can Anulom Vilom Pranayam Practice be done immediately after having food?
No, Anulom Vilom Pranayama should not be done immediately after eating food. You can do Vajrasana or Veerasan yoga after having food.
- What is the best time to do anulom vilom pranayama?
Anulom Vilom Pranayam is most beneficial if done on an empty stomach in the morning after yoga asanas.
Blog by :- Anil Ramola